Have you ever broken up with a guy because you met another one who was way better? Sometimes you don’t know what you’re missing out on until you see it.
Think about white pasta as that guy you’re dating now. You guys love to cuddle on the couch and Easy Mac while watching reality TV. Along comes that new guy (quinoa). You meet him while you’re zip-lining on a vacation in Costa Rica, and he shows you how adventurous your life can be. You spend days exploring the jungle, drinking fresh coconut milk (he climbs up the palm tree to get them obviously), and swimming in undiscovered pools at the base of secluded waterfalls.
Its clear that you can’t go on dating white pasta… you need to go be with quinoa.
After a few days camping and surfing up North in Santa Barbara I came home and made this soup. We didn’t have much in the fridge, which is a perfect opportunity to experiment with new soups. This turned out to be delicious. The quinoa took on the flavor of the garlic and rosemary, and the sweet potatoes were delicious and velvety. I’m sure this would be delicious in the crockpot as well.
Sweet Potato Soup with Quinoa and Rosemary
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced in to 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 large carrots, peeled and chopped in to 1/2 inch slices
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 cups chicken stock (or veg)
- fresh ground pepper and sea salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- In a large stockpot, coat the bottom with EVOO and add sweet potato through bay leaf from above ingredient list.
- Cook 10 mins over medium-high heat until onion starts to become translucent, stirring often.
- Add stock, stir and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once soup reaches a boil, reduce heat and simmer.
- Add quinoa and cook for 20 mins at a simmer, or until quinoa is done.
- Season with S&P to taste.
- Remove rosemary and bay leaf.
- Enjoy your new exciting life with quinoa! You can thank me later.