Living in Southern California we eat tacos for dinner 7 times a week.
The rest of our meals are fresh kale juice with wheatgrass.
That is an exaggeration, but we do love our tacos!
And we also love our fresh juice.
I made these for dinner last night and Miles (the ribeye guy), really liked them. Maybe it was because he was eating pizza all weekend up in Santa Barbara for a bachelor party.
What makes these special are the crispy chickpeas that have just the right amount of seasoning (cumin, garlic, coriander, cayenne) and kick. They are transformed from a cold mushy bean that you might find in a salad bar to a flavorful, crunchy taco filling.
I chose to serve these in Trader Joe’s handmade tortillas (the best), with shredded cabbage, cilantro, a fresh lime crema and some Cholula. You could obviously add avocado and onion or whatever else you like to put in your tacos. Enjoy!
Crispy Chickpea Tacos
- 1 can drained, rinsed and dries chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp coriander
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Salt to taste (about 1/2 tsp)
- tortillas, shredded cabbage, whatever else you like on your tacos…
- Combine spices in a little bowl and set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat add 1Tbsp coconut oil and heat until a chickpea dropped in sizzles (about 1-2 mins depending on your stove).
- Add chickpeas and shake pan to coat chickpeas with oil.
- Sprinkle chickpeas with 1/2 of the spice mixture, and then cook without shaking pan for about 3 minutes so that chickpeas start to get golden brown on one side. If it seems like they are starting to burn then reduce the heat.
- Shake pan to turn chickpeas (they should be golden brown on one side) and add remaining spice mixture. Cook another 2-3 mins.
- Reduce heat to medium and give the chickpeas a final shake in the pan. By now chickpeas should be nice and golden brown and crispy.
- Serve chickpeas in your desired taco format while hot, and enjoy!