The meal rotation. We all have one.
You know, the handful of meals that you can make with your eyes closed, that you’re sure everyone will like, and you always have the ingredients for?
I’m not going to criticize you for that. I’m just going to say that I bet once you try this recipe it will be come a part of it.
This is a super easy weeknight meal that is super flavorful and healthy and so so so easy for cleanup.
Spicy Peppers and Onions with Chicken Sausage and Quinoa
*makes enough for about 4 dinners depending on how much quinoa you make, if you add mushrooms, etc. Feel free to add more veggies to feed more people.
- 2 white onions, sliced (see picture)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup, or more if you like them, sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced (you could also use yellow or orange but I wouldn’t recommend green because they’re not sweet enough)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 chicken sausage links, sliced (I like Aidells organic, fully cooked)
- A few fresh basil leaves, chiffoned
- 1/4 cup fresh parsely, chopped
- salt to taste
- 1-2 cups uncooked quinoa, cooked
- parmesan cheese
- Start cooking quinoa in rice cooker.
- Meanwhile, coat bottom of heavy, large skillet and heat on medium.
- Add onions, mushrooms, oregano, red pepper flakes and pepper and saute for 5 mins, stirring frequently.
- The onions should start to caramelize by now. Add garlic and cook for 5 more mins stirring often.
- Add peppers and saute for 2 mins over medium heat stirring frequently.
- Add sausage and cook for 5 more mins over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and salt to taste.
- Add fresh herbs and stir to combine.
- Serve over quinoa and topped with grated parmesan.