REPEAT: NOT PREGGO.
But, the big news is that I’m going to start culinary school this Fall.
I was talking to my best friend, Elisa today. She said something like “haven’t you wanted to do that since you were 7?”
And the answer is, yes I have.
So maybe I’ll actually start to know what I’m doing with this whole cooking thing!
Noodle Salad with Grilled Green Onions and Miso Dressing
For Dressing (from a NYTimes recipe):
- 1 rounded tablespoon white or yellow miso
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar, or 1 tablespoon rice vinegar and 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 small garlic clove, minced or put through a press
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
Yields 2/3 cup
(Combine the miso and vinegar (or vinegar and lime juice) in a small bowl and whisk together. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until amalgamated. You can also mix this in a blender.)
- 1 cup cooked Somen noodles, rinsed and cooled (use whatever Asian-like noodles you want)
- 1 carrot, rinsed and peeled into strips using a veggie peeler (see pictures)
- 1 cup seeded and partially peeled English cucumber
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 4 green onions, rinsed and dried
- Sesame seeds (I didn’t have any for the picture, way to go Mary)
- Grill green onions by heating a cast iron on high for 5 mins or so (it should be really hot) and placing green onions on pan for 30 seconds with another heavy pan on top. Turn over onions and repeat for another 30 seconds.
- Separate onions into strands, and cool.
- Assemble salad with carrots on the bottom, followed by noodles, cucumbers, avos and green onions,
- Top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and 2-3 Tbsp Miso Dressing.