This time of year I get a little homesick for Fall in New England.
And then I remember that I’m still surfing in a bikini, and I won’t have to shovel any snow this winter.
And then I’m not homesick anymore.
This dish is an ode to New England Autumn with its maple and cinnamon. And the sweet potatoes and pecans. It all just screams…
PUMPKIN SPICE LATTES!
STRESSING OVER WHAT MY HALLOWEEN COSTUME WILL BE!
This is a perfect vegetarian bowl that could be a main meal, or add a little crumbled chicken sausage and appeal to the non-vegetarians at your dinner table.
Autumn Wild Rice with Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Pecans and Goat Cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- EVOO to coat bottom of pan
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (I used red, but you can use white)
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into half inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt plus more to taste
- 3/4 cup toasted pecans
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Coat bottom of a large nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery, sweet potatoes and S&P, and stir.
- Cook 5 mins uncovered stirring occasionally.
- Add 1/2 cup water and continue to cook 5 more mins stirring occasionally, making sure to get up all the brown bits at the bottom (Add up to 1/2 more cup of water if it is evaporating too quickly).
- Cover and cook for 2 mins. Sweet potatoes should be done by now but make sure you taste them to make sure. Every stovetop is different. Continue to cook a few more mins until done if the potatoes are still hard.
- Remove from heat.
- Add rice, pecans, maple syrup and stir to combine.
- Top with goat cheese and serve warm.